2021 is around the corner, which means that the holiday season is about to kick-off. Millions of Americans utilize this opportunity to take a break from a hectic lifestyle. They make it a point to visit relatives or their favorite travel destinations during the Christmas break. However, people do not expect to enjoy holidays with the same amount of zeal later this year because we have coronavirus to spoil the party.
The pandemic is far from over, plus the danger of getting infected is looming around the horizon. So should we allow this fear to overcome us and make peace with limitations? The answer is a resounding “no.”
Despite being exposed to a contagious virus, you can still take a trip home or abroad without remotely compromising on the entertainment part. Wondering how on earth is it possible? Well, you have to walk the tight line of the following instructions:
- Get in touch with the government travel advisory.
Coronavirus is unlike anything humans have gone through in the last several decades. So we need a collective effort to put an intense fight against it. That is precisely why governments worldwide have introduced a mechanism to scrutinize travelers before allowing them to step into their respective territories.
Depending on the country an individual is coming from, the government could instruct you to quarantine for a few days. In some countries, the authorities do not even provide state-sponsored quarantine facilities, and passengers must undergo quarantine by paying from their pockets.
Now it may cause grave trouble if you have not mentally prepared yourself for such a measure. Therefore, it is mandatory to connect with the travel advisory upfront. These professionals will let you know about the treatment you will receive upon arrival from a specific location. Once you have heard from the travel advisory, you can make the final call with much more clarity.
- Stay at places that stick to SOPs.
Tourism heavily contributes to the economy of many countries out there. Tourism is the sole reason why some of the countries have earned worldwide recognition. Many countries are now extra cautious about adhering to the standard operating procedures and following strict guidelines. Therefore, it is crucial to ensure that you opt for cabin rentals and other accommodations that abide by strict SOPs.
That said, no government wants to accomplish financial goals at the expanse of marking an uptick in coronavirus cases among the local citizens. As a result, administrations have made it compulsory for hotels to abide by SOPs. So be sure to stay at a hotel that does not fall short of the standard hygienic measures.
- Be selective about your travel mode.
Health experts recommend driving as the most risk-free mode of traveling. The reason being, it bares you from human-to-human physical interaction to a large extent. But driving has its limitations. You will have to consider traveling by air in some cases. Here are a few tips to ensure a safe flying journey:
- Avoid going to restrooms at regular intervals: Typically, an airplane includes only three bathrooms. Let’s say, if a plane is onboarding 100 passengers, 33 of them would be using the same restroom on average. In simple words, a restroom is easily amongst the high traffic areas. You should keep yourself away from such spaces to minimize the odds of getting contracted.
- Opt for first-class: Unlike cheaper transportation modes, leaving vacant seats between passengers is a rarity in airlines. But you can always choose first-class to be on the safe side as it offers more space between seats.
- Seek a direct flight: A flight with several stopovers could pose a considerable hurdle to your safety. It is highly advisable to buy the ticket for a nonstop flight even if it is slightly on the expensive side.
- Visit countries with low COVID-19 cases.
Not all countries have been affected by coronavirus on the same scale. For example, the pandemic has proved to be catastrophic for the United States, causing more than 236,000 casualties so far. But countries like New Zealand, Taiwan, South Korea, Singapore, and Sri Lanka rank pretty low in terms of the most deaths caused by COVID-19.
If visiting just about any country will satisfy your inner voyager, you should always prefer a country that has not been on its knees in the face of coronavirus.
- Equip your travel bag with essential items.
These are extraordinary times. From businesses to educational institutions, nearly everything is witnessing changes. And your travel bag is no exception. You have to pack the items that would not generally be part of your travel bag in a typical scenario. They are as follows:
- Face mask
- Hand sanitizer, preferably with over 60 percent alcohol.
- Cleaning wipes
- Travel pillow
- Storage case for the face mask
The concluding remarks
The emergence of coronavirus sent shockwaves all around the world. It seemed like a daunting task to control the virus because governments fell short of preparation. After being knocked out in the initial phase, the world showed some character and gradually limited the spread of the virus. As a traveler, you must follow the tips mentioned above. If not, the pandemic can resurface, putting all our efforts in vain.