Both camping and hiking are spectacular outdoor activities, however, if you do not have any gear for them, then you might be surprised by how much money you’re supposed to set aside to purchase it.
Is it expensive? Surely it is! Outfitting yourself in waterproof jackets, hiking boots, soft carrier, wicking layers, and many other things can cost up to a staggering one thousand dollars! And if you have kids, then the situation is even worse.
Why is that? Well, it’s because, in time, they will grow out most of the things they currently have. Still, these facts shouldn’t stop you from doing these things. The good news is, there’s a solution for anything, including this. We’ve rounded up a couple of life-changing hacks just for you!
Perfect Ways To Save Money On Hiking & Camping Gear
One of the most affordable ways to get gear is free of charge. So, how can you pull that off? Find out whether your friend or a family member has it and whether you can borrow it. There’s no shame in it.
On the other hand, if they do not have it, you can always join a hiking club either at your university or your community. It’s highly likely they have it. A lot of people, especially beginners have done this during their first backpacking trips.
A lot of them had borrowed tents, sleeping bags, backpacks, sleeping pads, etc. Namely, this is a perfect way to test out different types of gear, discover what you like, and then, later one, when you can afford it, purchase something that actually suits you.
Now, it’s worth mentioning that before you return the gear, you should make sure it’s cleaned and dry. And of course, it wouldn’t hurt to treat that person with something nice for being so kind to borrow you his or her stuff.
It’s no secret that people can save hundreds of dollars on various things by using precisely coupons. The same goes for this. Namely, if you’re interested in this and want to know how you can achieve it, you should follow this link to see what’s in the store for you. A lot of people have some sort of prejudice when it comes to it.
But why would you? As we stated in the beginning, the gear is very pricey and unfortunately, not everyone can afford it. So instead of being stressed about it, with coupons, you will get the opportunity to purchase many products that are generally out of your reach. So feel free to do it!
Other Cost-Effective Ways
Join Email List Of Your Favorite Brands
Go to the websites of the brands you’re fond of and see whether they offer any discount code that is actually worth something. If they currently don’t have it, you can always join their email list.
There are a plethora of websites that frequently provide their consumers with discounts, such as patagonia.com, ospreypacks.com, outdoorresearch.com, blackdiamondequipment.com, sportiva.com, ula-equipment.com, and many others.
Keep in mind that these types of offers may be seen at certain times every year, or if you have clicked at least one of their internal links. So in order to always stay informed, sign up and you’ll get yourself familiar with any discounts and offers.
Although this may seem like the most obvious suggestion, you should bear in mind that a lot of people would never do it. Why is that? Well, it’s because they feel like they have hit the rock bottom or they are picking through the Goodwill.
However, this is an amazing option if you are not in the position to spend a lot of money on equipment and gear. Fortunately, there are numerous amazing options that offer spectacular gear for camping and hiking.
- Facebook Marketplace – If you save your search, Facebook is going to let you know when something interesting has shown up. Use your negotiation skills if you must to get the best possible deal.
- REI garage sales/local swap meets: Do anything you can to arrive early.
- Amazon Warehouse – If the product isn’t up to par, you can return with free shipping up to one month
- Local and national buy/sell/trade groups -There are many groups that should be checked. For instance, Facebook groups, local community centers, your church, etc.
- eBay – Pay attention to the item you have been eyeing for a certain period of time and bid as later as possible so you do not drive the price up. Just watch out for the shipping costs.
Wait For Sales
When people want to know how to find the best gear for camping, one of the best answers you can provide them with is to wait for sales. A lot of huge retailers, who sell a plethora of high-quality camping gear usually have regular sales during the year.
During this time of year, buyers are able to stumble upon amazing promotions and discounts on various outdoor and camping equipment. During these days you can come across the best deals:
- Father’s Day – Father’s day is probably one of the best times to stumble upon outstanding discounts at sporting goods stores. A plethora of large retailers, such as Bass Pro Shops, Cabela’s, and Sportsman’s Warehouse have sensational sales.
- End of season – This is another great moment to find superb deals and prices. Why is that? Well, that’s because a lot of stores are trying to make space for the next season’s gear which is why they want to sell their items at a discount.
- Holiday sales – It is widely known that Christmas is the most popular holiday all around the world and the perfect time to find cool deals. Besides Christmas, special days like Labor Day, the 4th of July, and Memorial Day are also great opportunities to purchase something good at an affordable price!
Anyone can save money if they are willing to make an effort. It is a bit difficult to do it when it comes to hiking and camping equipment, however, as you can see, it’s far from impossible! Choose at least one of these suggestions to make a great purchase!